his is the story of a news title that was too easy to write. Yes, Hellboy's release is a living hell.
It all started with horrendous reviews, the reboot film scoring 30 on Metacritic, 5.4 on IMDb and 13% on Rotten Tomatoes
. Here are some of the reviews that were posted, since its release on April 11:
- Watching Hellboy is my new personal idea of hell.
- Hellboy is one hell of a headache.
- The race for worst movie of the year is heating up. You could even say it’s hotter than hell, now that Hellboy has taken the lead.
- Bloated and beyond repair, this loud and obnoxious Hellboy (that literally nobody asked for) goes down in flames.
- Noisy and dull.
- Hellboy’s a mess.
- A repetitive barrage of what seems like a 12-year old's fantasy film.
- An aimlessly transparent attempt to relaunch a franchise that lacks the brains to go with its brawn.
- Hellboy wants to be Deadpool, but in execution it's much closer to Suicide Squad.
- One of the worst comic book movies ever made.
But bad reviews does not always equal bad box-office results (Justice League, anyone?). Unfortunately for the production crew of Hellboy, the movie tanked at the box-office, only making $12 million from 3,303 domestic locations in its opening weekend.